A terrorist car bomb explosion has hit near a police post in Iran’s southeastern port city of Chabahar, leaving a number of people martyred and injured, initial reports say.
According to Press TV, local officials said terrorists attacked the police headquarters in Chabahar, located in the Southeastern Province of Sistan-and-Baluchestan, with an explosives-laden vehicle on Thursday morning.
The terrorists, however, failed to reach their target as security forces quickly responded to the situation and prevented them from entering the place, said Governor of Sistan-and-Baluchestan Province, Ahmad-Ali Mouhebati.
The terrorist behind the wheel was killed, said Mohammad Hadi Mar’ashi, Deputy Governor for Security Affairs.
IRNA also cited informed sources as saying that sporadic shooting followed the blast.
There are conflicting reports about the number of casualties.
Two police officers lost their lives in the terror attack, according to Mar’ashi.
Health officials also said 28 people have been wounded in the incident, three of them are in critical condition.
Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)’s Ground Force Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour personally visited the site of the attack.
The senior military official described the incident as “an indiscriminate terror attack, which yielded no results for the terrorists.”
Pakpour also said the situation is now under control, adding “IRGC forces have been deployed to the site, and are fully on alert.”
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
Sistan-and-Baluchestan – which borders Pakistan, has seen several terror attacks targeting both civilians and security forces over the past years.
Iranian forces have repeatedly busted terror groups in the province, foiling their planned attacks and confiscating weapons and ammunition in the course of their security operations