US secures reduction in violence in talks to help seek a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan, says Pentagon chief.
The United States has secured a seven-day reduction in violence in talks with the Taliban to help seek a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan, Pentagon chief Mark Esper has said.
“The United States and the Taliban have negotiated a proposal for a seven-day reduction in violence,” Esper told reporters in Brussels on Thursday, dubbing his meetings with NATO colleagues “productive”.
“We’ve said all along that the best, if not the only, solution in Afghanistan is a political agreement. Progress has been made on that front and we’ll have more to report on that soon, I hope,” Esper said.
“It is our view that seven days for now is sufficient but in all things our approach to this process will be conditions based, I will say it again, conditions based,” he said.
The US and the Taliban have been locked in gruelling talks that have stretched over more than a year, seeking an end to Afghanistan’s 18-year war, the US’s longest conflict.
Citing Afghan and US officials, The New York Times has reported that US President Donald Trump had given conditional approval to a deal with the Taliban to allow him to start withdrawing US troops.
Sources say the partial truce could lead to the signing of a US-Taliban peace deal that would see the US pull thousands of troops from Afghanistan, in return for which the Taliban would provide various security guarantees and launch eventual talks with the Kabul government.
There are about 13,000 US troops as well as thousands of other NATO personnel in Afghanistan, 18 years after a US-led coalition invaded the country following the September 11, 2001 attacks on the US.
“It will be a continual evaluative process as we go forward – if we go forward,” said Esper.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies
Afghan president says Pompeo reports progress in US-Taliban talks
Ashraf Ghani says Pompeo told him that Taliban has proposed bringing a ‘significant and enduring reduction in violence’.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said on Tuesday he was told by the US Secretary of State that “notable progress” had been made during continuing talks between the United States and the Taliban.
In a post on Twitter, Ghani wrote that Mike Pompeo had informed him in a telephone call that the Taliban had made a proposal “with regards to bringing a significant and enduring reduction in violence,” as US aims to strike a deal to withdraw its troops from the war-torn country.
Ghani’s tweet indicated a possible breakthrough in US-Taliban talks in Qatar, which have been deadlocked in part over a US demand that the armed group agree to significantly reduce violence as part of any American troop withdrawal accord.
Tens of thousands of people have been killed since the Taliban launched an armed rebellion after it was deposed in a US-led invasion in 2001. The US had accused the then-Taliban government of providing a safe haven to former al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, who was considered a mastermind of deadly 9/11 attacks.
US President Donald Trump has made a withdrawal of the 13,000 US service members from Afghanistan a significant foreign policy objective. An agreement with the Taliban could boost Trump’s re-election prospects this November.
“US talks with the Taliban in Doha continue around the specifics of a reduction in violence,” a State Department spokesperson said on Tuesday.
Taliban officials were not immediately available to comment.
In his tweet, Ghani wrote that Pompeo told him “of the notable progress made in the ongoing peace talks with the Taliban.”
“The Secretary informed me about the Taliban’s proposal with regards to bringing a significant and enduring reduction in violence,” he continued, adding in another tweet, “This is a welcoming development.”
Ghani, who did not disclose details of the proposal, appeared to take credit for the development, writing that “our principal position on peace thus far has begun to yield fruitful results.”
Asked about Ghani’s comments, Robert O’Brien, the White House national security adviser, reiterated that Trump was seeking to withdraw US forces from the country, but said on Tuesday evening: “I don’t think there’s any imminent withdrawal from Afghanistan.”
The Afghan president had called on the Taliban to agree to a nationwide ceasefire, a demand also made by Trump in September when he scuttled months of negotiations with the armed group led by US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad.
The Taliban, however, steadfastly rejected the demand. In the talks that resumed in December in Doha, Qatar’s capital, US negotiators have pressed the armed group to agree to a significant reduction in violence.
A US troop withdrawal pact would be followed by talks between the Taliban and an Afghan delegation that included government officials on a settlement to decades of war, US officials have said.
The Taliban has so far refused to speak to the West-backed government in Kabul, saying they are a “puppet regime”.
The Taliban militants have stormed a military base in northern Afghanistan, killing at least five soldiers, according to officials. According to Press TV, the Afghan Defense Ministry said in a statement on Monday the attack occurred in Shora Khak area of Kunduz Province on Sunday. “Unfortunately, five army soldiers were martyred and three wounded,” said […]
Ritu (सत्यसाधक) #EqualRightsForHindus @RituRathaur The massive surge in voting in #DelhiElections after 3 PM cannot be ignored ..#ExitPolls failed to capture that data ,hence r erroneous!. BJP has a very good chance of making it to 35-40 if they got 70% to 80% of vote share between 3 to 6 PM Praying for BJPs Win! […]
Jamia Students Anti-CAA March : Delhi Police Atrocities On Female Student, Female Cop Took Off Her Burqa And Hit Her With Lathi : Report More than 10 female students of Jamia Millia University, who participated in an anti-CAA march towards Parliament, have been admitted to the Jamia Health Centre for injuries in their […]