English International

New Zealand mosque attacker changes plea to guilty to all charges leveled against him

The Australian man who killed 51 people at two mosques in New Zealand last year has changed his plea to guilty to all charges leveled against him.

According to Press TV, Brenton Tarrant, 29, a white supremacist, killed 51 worshipers at Al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, during Friday prayers on March 15 last year.

He opened fire in the packed Al Noor Mosque, then traveled across town to continue the carnage in the suburban Linwood Mosque, while live-streaming his actions on social media.

Shortly before the attack began, an anonymous post on the discussion site 8chan, known for a wide range of content, including hate speech, said the writer was going to “carry out an attack against the invaders” and included links to a Facebook live stream, in which the footage of the shooting and a manifesto appeared.

The gunman had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges leveled against him, prompting anger from survivors and the relatives of those killed in the attacks.

He had been scheduled to go on trial in June but changed his plea on Thursday in a court appearance arranged at short notice.

Tarrant appeared in the courtroom via video link from a maximum-security prison in Auckland and admitted to 51 counts of murder, as well as the attempted murder of another 40 people and one terrorism charge.

The two imams of the mosques were allowed to attend the hearing to represent the victims and their families.

The gunman will remain in custody until his scheduled sentencing hearing on May 1.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the guilty plea was a “relief” for families.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *